If you suffer from any of the so-called Chronic Diseases, such as heart disease , cancer, diabetes, even obesity or any other of these long-term problems , you do not have to put aside your sex life. But it is definitely important that you introduce some changes in your lifestyle, with a more flexible and open mind about the way you live your sexuality.
It is about advising you and following some advice and recommendations from your doctor , to better understand what happens in your body and that you can learn to gradually recover your desire and your deserved pleasure and well-being, so if this is your case, stay here and keep reading that this will help you a lot.
Let's start by talking about what we understand by Sexual Health , since this concept can have thousands of meanings depending on our culture, our upbringing and our personality. Because if we have learned anything from the testimonials of all of you at Zenzsual, it is that each person approaches their sexuality from a different perspective and they are all valid as long as they are based on mutual respect.
When we talk about Sexual Health, we refer to the classic concept of the World Health Organization, which refers to the state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being of our sexuality, without the presence of dysfunction or inability to have sexual relations. It should be noted that we are talking about having a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relations , whose objective is the possibility of having pleasant and safe sexual experiences, free of all coercion, discrimination and violence.
You already know what Sexual Health is, now what are Chronic Diseases?
According to the World Health Organization, Chronic Diseases are those of long duration , which generally evolve slowly and are not transmitted from person to person. There are 4 main types of this type: cardiovascular diseases (such as heart attacks and strokes), cancer, diabetes and chronic respiratory diseases (such as asthma and COPD - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Recently they also accepted obesity as a non-communicable chronic disease, incredible right?
The enjoyment of our sexuality can be affected when we are in the presence of one of these conditions, since pain, physical disability , anxiety, worry, fear or sadness can take over us and become a priority.
When you live with a Chronic Disease, it is very likely that while you accept the idea of what you have and adjust to the changes and medications, sexuality remains in the background, but it should not necessarily remain so. If you want this not to happen, you must introduce some changes in your life to make it possible and we are going to help you in this, it is more important that you know why this intimate part of communication as a couple is affected.
Why can your sexuality be affected if you suffer from a Chronic Disease?
Generally it is sexual desire and arousal that is most interrupted, especially at the beginning of the disease when we realize that everything changes. Here are several reasons:
- Physical alterations that vary depending on the disease , which can limit your performance at the time of the meeting. Example: limitations of movements and positions due to joint problems, respiratory or heart difficulties that limit the stage of excitement.
- Mental disorders : it is logical and understandable that economic concerns, changes in our routines and lifestyle are associated with this type of disease, which can lead to depression and low self-esteem. All these thoughts and feelings definitely take up almost all of your thinking, making it almost impossible to even think about sex.
- Alterations resulting from medical treatments or surgeries are also responsible for altering and impairing sexuality, such as dialysis treatments, mastectomies, taking antihypertensive, antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs.
There are other chronic diseases such as obesity, chronic constipation, alcoholism, smoking, which also greatly deteriorate health sexual as they cause anxiety, depression and disorders in sexual performance and decreased desire.
Symptoms of Chronic Diseases that can interfere with your Sexuality:
Chronic disease and even the medications used for its treatment can negatively affect the sexual life of those who suffer from it, generally producing some or more of these symptoms:
- Sleep disturbances.
- Erectile dysfunction (impotence).
- Loss of libido.
- Anorgasmia: the lack of interest in sex.
Recommendations to activate your sexuality
When the doctor informs us that we suffer from a Chronic Disease , such as diabetes, a heart condition, cancer or another condition, an enormous number of questions and doubts about the disease itself and the new health condition immediately come to mind. which we are facing. But it is also important that, without any shame, you include in this questionnaire the doubts related to your sexuality; since all chronic diseases are different, and although they may represent some barriers, it does not mean that it prevents you from having sexual relations. You just have to learn to live and adapt to your new health condition.
For this reason it is important that you take charge of the matter and inform yourself very well about your disease and how it can affect your life. Specifically, we share a series of tips that will help you redirect your sexual life:
- Be flexible and look for new opportunities. Having a chronic illness means that you may not be able to make love like you used to. But there are many ways to enjoy physical intimacy, even if you have serious handicaps from your illness; because generally you can always kiss, caress, use sex toys, receive massages and oral sex or maybe give it. Do not focus on your disabilities but on your abilities . Want is power! And remember that satisfying sex is all about slow, playful caresses all over your body.
- Plan sexual activity for the time when you feel most energetic. In the toughest stage of the disease there will be days when you don't feel like it, nor do you have the head for it, so you better take advantage of the improvement spaces.
- Try to be relaxed and rested for that moment. It is necessary to create the environment and have the willingness to make the moment a pleasant experience, no matter how different it may be from your pre-illness sex life.
- Take the painkiller indicated by your doctor if you feel any pain as a result of your chronic illness, at least half an hour before the sexual act to avoid being distracted by the pain and so that you can concentrate on living the experience and sexual pleasure. WITHOUT SELF-MEDICATING!
- Try different positions and modes of arousal in order to find those with which you feel most comfortable and stimulated.
Try using intimate gel and sex toys. Diabetes, some types of cancer and other chronic diseases can reduce your genital sensitivity, cause pain or vaginal dryness, among other symptoms. For this we propose:
Use lubricating gels to combat pain during intercourse and dryness . Here we recommend the Zenzsual Intimate Gel, which has a high concentration of hyaluronic acid, which will help you facilitate rubbing and sexual contact, as well as hydrate your genitals, avoiding the dryness that some medications produce.
Vibrators can help. Depending on your particular situation, you can consult your doctor and evaluate if you can try some erotic toys that allow you to enrich your sexual relations. If it doesn't work out the first time: try a few! You can find these types of products in adult stores and various websites.
At Zenzsual we have the VagiYoga vaginal exerciser , with which you can win double, by strengthening your pelvic floor by guiding your Kegel exercises and by using it in vibrator mode to stimulate your sexual relations.
Lots of communication with your partner – that's the most important token! That both know what they like to do and that they do to him, talk about how they feel more comfortable and that together they understand each other, listen to each other and try each other again and again, to finally fit perfectly.
It is really key that they can talk to change their habits in the face of the new lifestyle that Chronic Disease imposes on them, motivating each other, supporting each other and adapting to the new circumstances. This will help a lot for both of them to have a better disposition and an affectionate attitude, even at times when sexual desire does not exist, since we must not forget that they can motivate themselves to appear at any time and reach the desired excitement.
- Consult the doctor: without embarrassment or embarrassment, ask the doctor about the sexual consequences of your disease and the effects of the medicines you are taking. He is the right person to give you information about the possible effects of prescription drugs and whether they lower your libido. In addition, he is the professional prepared to respond appropriately how to deal with situations of depression and other symptoms.
- Join a support group: Patient associations allow you to connect with other people who are in the same situation as you and to share experiences to find some of the answers to the specific situations of your case. Consider joining the support group closest to your home and take the opportunity to talk with your peers about how they handle their sexuality.
New reality, new lifestyle! It is a priority to stay as healthy as possible. Well, despite suffering from a chronic illness, we recommend you talk to your doctor to plan together the introduction of some good habits, according to your health condition. Here are some tips in this regard:
-If you smoke, stop it.
—Avoid alcohol or if you can better eliminate it from your diet.
—Eat a minimum of five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
—Depending on your state of health, try to get regular moderate exercise. The ideal would be at least 30 minutes a day.
—Get at least seven hours of sleep every night.
Connect with us through our social networks where you can find us as: @zenzsual and tell us about your experience.
At Zenzsual we work with passion to promote women's health and healthy sexuality. Because we are aware that we all have problems, doubts or different needs, and it is very useful to communicate and inform ourselves seriously about our processes to overcome them with integrity and finally be happy along the way.
Do not let anything stop you! Join TEAM ZENZSUAL!