At Zenzsual we like to speak without mincing words, so today we will talk about postpartum depression without fear, guilt or prejudice, since one in 7 women can suffer from it, and although it sounds incredible, it is the second cause of death in a woman after delivery. It has happened to many and it will continue to happen to others, but we can avoid it.
Postpartum depression has been so socially stigmatized that little or nothing is said about it, so this is our chance to find out a little more about this mental and maternal condition.
A woman's body undergoes incalculable changes when she becomes pregnant; It's just a matter of you thinking about his ability to hold a human being inside himself for 9 months, to earn all our admiration. The breasts grow, the feet swell, some areas of the body darken, a few veins and spots appear on the skin, a complete change occurs in their appearance, and all to provide the best stay for your baby and later prepare for childbirth. . And hormones, what about them? They get excited and can make women go from laughing to crying or euphoric to grumpy in a matter of seconds, they become more irritable than normal and everything has a reason for being.
Childbirth! The pinnacle of the hormonal revolution, the moment when all the gears come together for both mom and baby to start finishing the job.
Postpartum depression comes later and occurs when a low mood persists in the new mother, it does not mean that she does not love her baby, but it is a disease that we must take very seriously.
Learn to detect it
These are the main symptoms or most common conditions that she may or may not detect herself, which is why it is so important that everyone around her knows about them. These symptoms can appear after a month of childbirth or even a year later.
- Feelings of sadness, hopelessness, worthlessness, guilt, and shame.
- Easy and frequent crying for no apparent reason.
- Little connection with the baby.
- Anxiety, irritability and bad mood (mood swings).
- Difficulty to sleep.
- Change or lack of appetite.
- Severe fatigue and lack of vitality.
- Thoughts of self-harm or towards the baby.
- Lack of interest in sex, family and/or friends.
Anyone can suffer these symptoms and the causes to develop them can be many, ranging from the same hormonal changes (as we talked about initially) to past traumas and previous diagnoses or it can even be due to a current hormonal problem such as thyroid problems, so what It is better to consult with your doctor.
How to avoid or overcome it?
A mom has just been born too, so what she needs is love and company, not words of encouragement like "this is all normal" or "it's not that bad, don't be exaggerating", plus the help of a professional and their advice , that although they may be complicated you should try to carry them out, hopefully before, during and after pregnancy:
- Rest: getting enough sleep and getting a good quality of sleep is a very important factor in protecting your mental health. We understand that during the postpartum it can be a little more difficult to achieve this with breastfeeding and all the requirements of the new baby, however, try to be aware of this need and make the hours that you can sleep truly restorative.
- Exercise: we all know that frequent physical activity improves levels of anxiety and depression in the body and generates a positive response to other emotions, helping psychological well-being. Move around regularly and exercise all your muscles, including those in your vagina. Yes, exercising your entire pelvic floor is also very necessary at this stage; Kegel Exercises and of course our VagiYoga Pelvic Floor Rehabilitator , a personalized vaginal exerciser that allows you to tone and recover your pelvic floor muscles more quickly and effectively, avoid and improve urinary incontinence (those annoying involuntary urine losses when we make efforts as small as coughing, sneezing, exercising or even laughing), avoid "bladder or vagina drop", a condition that frequently recurs in women after pregnancy that in medical terms is known like prolapse. And even more important, it will improve your state of mind and vitality, because believe it or not, the vagina is one of our main energy centers, and as it is associated with pleasure, sex and happiness, it favors the emotional and Physical Health.
Do it regularly, training between 3 to 5 times a week will allow you to get faster results. Always remember that you practice using a lubricant, nothing should enter your vagina without prior lubrication, for this we recommend our Intimate Feminine Moisturizing Gel with Hyaluronic Acid because in addition to using it for this, you can use it during sexual intercourse and thus avoid pain product of vaginal dryness or postpartum scarring; and of course, regulate your vaginal pH and avoid vaginal infections.
- Avoid toxins: the consumption of alcohol or other substances can hinder the process of recovery from postpartum depression, in addition to the fact that its consumption during the period of pregnancy can cause serious complications for both mother and child. The best thing is that you have a healthy and balanced diet full of nutrients.
- Ask for help when you need it: this can be one of the most useful ways to prevent postpartum depression, this is not the time to play the superhero, your partner and your family are there to be supportive and content, tell them how you feel and tell them in what can be useful for you. Nothing is more important than the well-being of the mother if we want the well-being of the baby! (You'd be surprised how many men want to ask for help. Include him with love in the entire pregnancy, labor and postpartum process and in everything that has to do with baby care).
If being a woman is not easy, you can imagine what it is like to be a mom, that role is overloaded, so take note of this because we hope we don't have to repeat it THERE ARE NO PERFECT MOMS, let alone bad moms, these ideas only make part of the cultural stereotypes we've grown up with, so it's time to stop pushing ourselves so hard and just follow our gut.
Lastly, if this information was useful for you, share it with a friend who might find it of great help. Also, don't forget that your intimate health is also important, so take our FEMALE INTIMATE MOISTURIZING GEL KIT WITH ACID today . HYALURONIC + VAGIYOGA WITH 35% OFF . It can be the perfect complement to accompany you during this process while you take care of your intimate health. Happy moms, happy babies!